Government of India has implemented the Employees’ Enrolment Campaign, 2017 (the Campaign) through various notifications. These changes have also been communicated by the Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) to its officials through circulars.
Now, the EPFO has issued FAQs with regard to the Employees’ Enrolment Campaign, 2017.
- EPFO launches Employees enrolment Campaign, 2017
- Limited time opportunity to the employers to voluntarily declare details of all employees hitherto deprived of social Security benefits under EPFO.
The Central Board (EPF) in its 215th meeting held on 19 December 2016, decided to launch a special campaign from 01.01.2017 to 31.03.2017 to enroll left out eligible workers for bringing them under the social security umbrella of EPFO. The campaign seeks to enroll new establishments and employees with or without past service.
2. The Central Government accepting the recommendation of the Board since has notified the scheme for the same. The campaign aims to encourage employers to voluntarily come forward and declare details of all such employees who were entitled for membership between 01.04.2009 to 31.12.2016 under EPF & MP Act 1952, but could not be enrolled.
The enrolment drive offers a limited time window to employers to bring all eligible workers under social security net.
3. According to provisions of Employees’ Provident Funds and Miscellaneous Provisions Act, 1952, the employer of an establishment covered under the Act is required to enroll all employees drawing wages of up to Rs. 15000/- per month.
4. The declaration scheme is operational between, January 1st 2017 to March 31st 2017. Salient features as under: The employee’s share of contribution if declared by the employer as not deducted, shall stand waived. The damages to be paid by the employer in respect of the employees for whom declaration has been made under this campaign shall be at the rate of Rupee 1(one) per annum. No administrative charges shall be collected from the employer in respect of the contribution made under the declaration. A declaration can be made under the Campaign for the period for which no inquiry under section 7A has been initiated
5. Enabling provision have been made under para 32(a) of the EPF Scheme 1952 and under para (5) of Employees Pension Scheme, 1995 and para 8-A of EDLI Scheme, 1976 to run this campaign. The purpose is to meet the twin objectives of increasing the enrolment, extending social security benefits to employees and reducing unnecessary litigation in courts. The interest of workers enrolled under the campaign remain fully protected and they shall be eligible to get benefits as laid down in the Schemes.
6. Establishments that enroll new employees under the campaign will be eligible to draw benefits available under Pradhan Mantri Rojgar Protsahan Yojana (PMRPY) as well as Pradhan Mantri Paridhan Rojgar Protsahan Yojana (PMPRY). The Government pays 8.33% contribution of employers’ share to the Employees’ Pension Scheme (EPS) in respect of new employees having UAN. For textile (apparel) sector, the Government additionally pays 3.67 % towards EPF contribution for new employees required to be paid by the employers.
7. EPFO has made special arrangements for the success of the campaign and appropriate assistance will be made available to employers coming forward to extend social security coverage of their employees. a. Special assignment has been given to officers of the rank of Addl. CPFC for effective and efficient implementation in their respective Zones/States. b. Stakeholder meetings will also be conducted with all employers’ and employees’ associations at all levels to have joint efforts to secure social security to all workers. c. Requisite online facilities for enrolment of workers is also made available. Employers can submit declarations by through their login on the Principal Employer portal on the EPFO’s website and forward authenticated copy to the concerned RPFC. It is expected that with launch of the enrolment campaign many eligible workers hitherto deprived of membership of schemes under EPF & MP Act, 1952 will finally get membership and consequent due benefits under the scheme.
8. Any employer may send during the campaign period, a declaration for membership of the employees. More details of the campaign and FAQS are available at www.epfindia.gov.in and can be accessed at the URL