NRI: Apply for PAN card in India
PAN is an all India, unique ten-digit alphanumeric number, issued in the form of a laminated card by the Income Tax Department. It does not change with changes in address or place where you are being assessed. PAN stands for Permanent Account Number.
A PAN is necessary to obtain for number of reasons some of which are:-
1. For obtaining registration under Service tax, VAT, Central Excise, customs etc.
2. For filling an income tax return
3. For some transactions for which PAN is compulsory
An NRI (non-resident Indian) also needs to obtain a PAN if he falls into either of the above categories. The procedure to obtain a PAN is fairly simple and similar across all categories of individuals. However, NRIs need to provide certain documents while applying for a PAN, which are specific to them.
Form 49A- For NRIs who are Indian citizens.
Form 49AA- For NRIs who are citizens of another country
These forms can be accessed, filled and submitted online through the websites of UTIITSL and NSDL. On submitting the form, an acknowledgement copy with a 15 digit number is generated, which needs to be sent to the designated address along with other documents.
Documents Required to submitted along with the acknowledgement copy
1. Two Photographs
2. Proof of Identity (Copy of Passport duly attested)
3. Proof of Address (Any one of the following, Copy of Passport or bank account statement or copy of NRE bank account statement duly attested)
4. NRIs can provide a foreign address as residential or office address if they do not have any Indian address of their own.
Rs. 107/- If communication address provided by the NRI is within India
Rs. 989/- If communication address provided by the NRI is outside India
Mode of Payment
Online Application: Fees may be paid through debit/credit card or Net Banking.
Alternatively: A demand draft favoring UTIITSL /NSDL can be dispatched, along with the documents and form.
PAN card dispatch facility outside India is available only in selected countries. It is best to check the list before applying